About Dominions 5
You are a God! You are master and ruler of a loyal nation. You have unimaginable powers at your disposal. You have claimed this world as yours. But there are others who stand in your way. You must defeat and destroy these pretenders. Only then can you ascend to godhood and become the new Pantokrator.
In Dominions you take control of a powerful being that rules a nation and aspires to godhood. The type of Pretender Gods can vary from magically powerful arch mages to huge titans or large monuments. The pretender gods have different strengths dependent on what kind of god you choose and what nation you play.
When you start the game you decide what kind of god you are and how your Dominion affects your lands, followers and sacred soldiers. It is an expression of your divine might and the faith of your followers. If your dominion dies, so do you. Your dominion also inspires your sacred warriors and gives them powers derived from your dominion.
In order to win and become the one true god you have to defeat your enemies one of three different ways: conquer their lands, extinguish their dominion or claim the Thrones of Ascension.
New for Dominions 5 is that a God's bless effects can be customized in detail giving a new set of choices for the aspiring Gods. Battles have also received a major change and now feature simultaneous movement for all participating units. Fireballs and arrows will now fly at the same time as everyone is moving and watching large battles will be quicker than before.
Dominions is set in a fantasy world that draws inspiration from historical nations, cultures and myths. You will not encounter the elves of conventional fantasy in this game. Instead you might lead a nation of vanir from old norse myth. Aztecs, romans, israelites, greeks, kievian rus and lovecraftian horrors are just a few of the inspirational sources of the game.
The first Dominions game was released in 2002 and was well received by strategy gamers. Since then Dominions has been much refined and Dominions series is still actively played making it one of the longest running 4x turn based strategy games.
A Selection of Screenshots from Steam Users
Buying and Forum
Dominions 5 can be bought on
There is also a forum on Steam
, please use that if you have questions or if you have bugs to report.
- Many monsters (3000+) and many many (300+) special abilities.
- Over 80 different nations to choose from, varying from Marignon
with paladins, witch hunters and inquisitors to under water nations like
the Lovecraft inspired R'lyeh.
- Three Eras to play in, Early era is most magic and the late era is
more technologically advanced with good steel weapons and armors.
- Design your Pretender God and how his dominion influences provinces.
- Design your Pretender's blessing will affect his sacred units.
- Multiplayer with simultaneous turns (up to 32 players).
- Teamplay with one Pretender player and a bunch of Disciple players per team.
- Network or Play by E-Mail for multiplayer.
- AI opponents for single- or multiplayer game.
- Random maps with cave, mountain passes, rivers, bridges and snow when it's cold.
- An extensive magic system with over 900 spells.
- Blood magic, power your rituals with human sacrifices.
- Global rituals that affect the entire world.
- More than 400 magic items.
- Unique magic artifacts that all players compete for, once forged no one else can make it.
- Mercenaries are bought on a global market.
- Scouts, Assassins, Spies, Seducers, Corruptors, Werewolves, Illusionists and more can be sneaking in your provinces.
- Claim the thrones of Ascension to gain special powers and eventually win the game.
- Permanent battle afflictions.
- Easy to Mod (2d graphics)
- Playable on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
If you have already an earlier Dominions game you are probably more interested in this list of changes since Dominions 4
Manuals & Tutorial Videos
See the documentation page
for the manuals as well as introduction videos for beginners.
Back to Illwinter Game Design